Friday, May 15, 2009

Free

I run free, untouched by the hands of destruction, the heavy hands of humans. My anscestors have warned me of your ways. Callous, selfish, and cold. I roam the unchanged landscape, the same now as it was a hundred years ago, trying desperately to find sanctuary. The others are waiting in safety, praying for my return to them. The sound of my feet hitting the ground pushes me onwards, towards a place I do not know.

My heartbeat races; faster, faster, faster. I fear they are coming quick, and large in numbers. I continue on, moving fast and agile. I have travelled across this land many times, through countless rivers, and over many mountain trails.

The air is cold, and the wind is strong, making it hard to continue this fight for freedom. The rain is coming down around me, splashing up off the ground, and onto my face. The mud underneath me is slippery, making my escape harder. I begin to hear the faint rumbling of hooves, the hooves of the unfortunate others who have succumbed to the fate I am resisting. I must push on, away from the gunshots, and screams from the mouths of those ghastly two-legged creatures.

As I trample through a foggy valley bottom, I am startled by a blur in the distance. It is moving, and becoming loud. I continue on, towards what I fear is the end of me. With the distance between the blur and I decreasing, I slow. From a gallop, to a canter, to a trot. Prancing, to let them know I do not fear.

As I move closer I see her. The beautiful shades of grey and black walk towards me, welcoming me home. I am safe now.

No comments:

Post a Comment